Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My ITM Experience by Chai Corpuz

The start of second semester seemed quite dull for me. I saw myself doing the same thing every day – waiting for the day to end, doing my plates at home, reviewing my lessons, and trying to beat the deadlines. Don’t get me wrong, I love what I do yet by the mere virtue of being human, having a routine can turn out to be eventually boring and predictable. 

It was clear that I was searching for something more, something to look forward to, to motivate me. That’s why I volunteered right away when Ma’am Que had asked our block if we want to join Ideas That Matter (ITM). I saw it as an opportunity to revamp my life, as a chance to reciprocate the tedium I loathe, and finally as a light to keep me going through the tunnel.



BUT never have I thought how big of an impact it would make on my life as a freshman. This experience has served as my training ground. I began doing things I never thought I was capable of or never have I imagined to accomplish in my first year. I met well-known people who came from different industries. I gained beyond what was taught inside the classrooms through events, direct experience and a wider realistic context. And I felt deeply pleased helping to organize these events. Above all that, I was fortunate to be part of a tight organization team where everyone was active, flexible, and passionate about their work. 


Being surrounded with these people, I found myself setting a new standard, which is I should no longer settle for mediocrity. I learned that if you can go further, go push yourself. If there is content, there is a best way to deliver it by encouraging alternatives. And lastly, if there is ideas that matter then there is a way to make things happen.
I’m really grateful for all the things ITM, especially Mr. Gil Velez, had taught me. I know that these will come in handy in the future and I do hope to expand my knowledge, fervor and skills next year. This is truly an inspiring evidence that people can actually learn from experience.

4 comments:

  1. It was a fun ITM experience with you Chai! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly glad to have you as part of the team! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chai! I hope you enjoy this year's ITM and kudos for being part of the org team! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Chai! It was great getting to know you. I hope you learned a lot from ITM! (:

    ReplyDelete